Friday, February 20, 2009

Surprises

My boyfriend is notorious for little surprises. Weather it be a brand new set of pots and pans set up on the stove with a huge love note written on cardboard or a HEB sack FULL of gum (I'm addicted). He is so good at it too. Last night the kids and I got home and the agenda was to grill hamburgers. Brian doesn't get home until after us so I usually tidy the house, wash any breakfast dishes, shower and rock a t-shirt and pajama bottoms till he does. Well Clay and I were in the living room pilfering around, when out of the front bay window I spotted something odd in the flower bed. It looked like a yard ornament of some sort but when I got closer it was a SOLAR LIGHT, and when proceeded to run outside to inspect there were several, perfectly positioned cute silver solar lights outlining the entire front flower beds of the house. My heart warmed, I have always wanted lights in my flower beds but never got around to doing it. How does he know these things? So I called Clay outside to show him, and teasingly asked him "Did you put these things in the flower beds?" He said, "No Mama, but I bet I know who diiiiid. And I bet it starts with a B." Ha!! So like two little lumps on a log we sat on the porch steps and waited till it was dark so we could watch them turn on one by one. They were perfect, just like the hamburgers he and Justin grilled on the pit later that night.  I am not an expert on pit grilling, I am used to a gas grill, and my whole hearted attempt at shrimp cozumel the other night on the charcoal pit (with no supervision) resulted in a very rapid flame cooked shrimp and very, very watery smoke filled eyes. Ouch! I wanted my gas grill. 
So today, I am at the salon getting my hair prettied up and I get a text from Brian, it says "If you have time, go by the house and look in the garage." I had to sit there for 30 more minutes and just wonder what was in there this time. The "surprises" usually appear on the kitchen counter, ie: Bread Machine, Knife set, Champagne glasses, etc. I hastily left the salon and headed over to the house, opened the garage door and sitting all pretty in a box was a Char-Broil gas grill. I'm spoiled..yes, loved...yes, totally IN  love, YES. Don't get me wrong, the surprises don't win me over, it's the thought, the thought that he thought of me. Does that make sense? Kinda like sticking a heart felt sappy card in the front door for me to find, but secretly stashing a little dirty card in my chest of drawers. 

No comments: